Tuesday, August 2, 2011

OCA Exercise 1; Focal Length & Angle of View

Camera; Canon EOS 550D


Lens; Canon 18-200mm Telephoto Zoom lens f/3.5


Objective:


For this exercise, I was tasked to take three photographs at different focal lengths from the same position to establish my “standard view” when composing an image. I took one photograph at the wide angle, one at the telephoto end and one at standard view.


Standard view: f/4 1/250 18-200mm @ 35mm ISO 100











This is the standard view image which I found to be a similar size to that of my naked eye whilst composing the shot. I found this to be at 35mm (equivalent to 56mm on a full frame camera) on my Canon 18-200mm Telephoto zoom lens. 

                                       Wide Angle View: f/4.5 1/250 18-200mm @ 18mm ISO 100

In this wide angle view, the scene appears smaller in the photograph compared to the real scene as at  wide angle, everything is compressed.

                                       Telephoto View: f/5.6 1/100 18-200mm @ 200mm ISO 100


In the telephoto image above, taken at 200mm, everything seems much larger than to the naked eye. 

To complete this exercise I needed to hold each of the A4 printed images and move them towards or away from my eye until the printed scene appeared the same size as my view of the real scene and establish the distance from my eye;

Standard: Approximately 67cm

Wide Angle: Approximately 101cm

Telephoto View: I held this right up to my face, but could still not focus properly on the image. 

Measurements are approximate as I completed this exercise alone.

Conclusion;

I have learned that the focal length determines the composition, and ultimately the final result of that image. It can sometimes determine the subject of an image by focusing closely on on aspect of an image as shown above in my telephoto view image that focuses closely on a palm tree. 


I have also learned that changing to a longer lens makes the subject appear closer, however this is not the same as moving the camera closer to the subject. 

Neil Barnes - 508523


No comments:

Post a Comment